Have you heard of probiotics? Maybe not but I am sure you have heard of antibiotics.
Literally translated antibiotics mean: against life. Antibiotics are prescribed when people have inflammations, extremely high fevers or when they need an operation. Sometimes people are also advised to take antibiotics for joint complaints ( these are also inflammations).
Of life importance
There are times that we really need an antibiotic cure as it will kill the causes of an illness. In some cases this can be of vital importance. It is such a shame that by killing the bad bacteria also the good bacteria in the gut are killed. This can then lead to all sorts of other health problems. It is crucial that after each antibiotic cure one takes a course of probiotics. In many cases this does not happen: each person should, no matter their state of health, use a probiotic twice a day.
Issues where probiotics can be helpful :
- Hay fever and allergies:
- Animal sudies have shown that probiotics can surpress inflamatory reactions that are caused by harmless substances in our environment. Think about hayfever which is a reaction to (for most people) harmless polls.
- Poor resistance:
- A good resistance starts in the gut. By making the intestines healthier, your resistance will improve.
- Cancer risk:
- Cancer is one of the major causes of death. Probiotics, in the fermented form, could inhibit tumor growth partly due to the stimulation of the immune system. This was shown in research and animal testing.
- High cholesterol in the blood:
- It seems that probiotics can absorb cholesterol which can reduce the chance of arteriosclerosis.
- High bloodpressure
- Unhealthy skin:
- Among them acne, rosacea, eczema and other skin conditions.
- Being overweight:
- In 2013 a report was published that researched 210 test persons with a lot of belly fat. During a period of 12 weeks they where given probiotics. The test persons lost on average 8.5% of their belly fat. When they stopped taking the probiotics the fat returned within 4 weeks. Therefor probiotics can be a useful for weight loss and in preventing obesity.
- Lastly probiotics can have a positive effect on heart health.
There are several foods that have a probiotic effect . These are yoghurt, raw sauerkraut, cacao, miso and tempeh but kefir is shown to be one of the best.
Health benefits of kefir
- Kefir is more powerful as a probiotic than for example yoghurt, cacao or raw sauerkraut. Because it has more powerful anti-bacterial properties it can give you a perfect protection against all sorts of illnesses.
- Kefir is a good source of several nutritents for example vitamin D, magnesium, calcium, proteins, fosfor, vitamin B12 en vitamin B2.
- The advantage of kefir is that even people who are lactose intolerant can (in most cases) tolerate it. Because the lactose has been converted to lactic acid, kefir contains far less lactose than normal milk. If you are extremely sensitive to lactose make the kefir with organic soya milk.
- Kefir can have a positive influence on bone density and reduce the risk of bone loss. In most cases it is recommended to take extra calcium with vitamnin D (ask your coach) and it seems that kefir enhances calcium absorbtion in the bone cells.
- Depression: kefir contains tryptophan, a building block for the brain chemical serotonin, the happy hormone. Your body can make the serotinin out of the tryptophan and as a result you will feel better in yourself and much happier.
How to make kefir.
In this video I show you how to make kefir from live kefir grains:
Kefir can also be made from dehydrated kefir grains. You can disolve the grains in organic soya milk or cows milk. The first time you add the kefir grains to the milk (soya or normal milk) at room temperature, leave it outside the fridge for 48 hours. He kefir will look like a yoghurt. You could also compare it with buttermilk but maybe a bith thicker. Then store it in the fridge. You make the next portion of kefir by taking 3 table spoons of the kefir you made before and add it to a new pack of milk, again at room temperature. Then you only need to leave it out of the fridge for 24 hours before it ready for consumption. You can get by for months with one sachet but there will be a time you will have to start the process again. You can make a delicious breakfast with the kefir, add fibres and seeds or even fruits. Kefir is very vesatile. and as a result you will have a yoghurt like substance.
You can buy kefir online at: https://happykombucha.co.uk/
To better health,